Monday, February 15, 2010

Autism

There was a new study that confirms that moms who are older have a higher risk of having a child born who is autistic. This confirms one study and contradicts another. One of the recent studies that this one contradicted suggested that the age of the father was the most important risk factor. However, this study found that while the age of the father was important, the age of the mother was more important. It is also believed that 1 in 100 children in the US are Autistic. WOW. 1 in 100 children. To me, that number is shocking. I have run into a few children that have autism, but I didn't think the rate was that high. What do you guys think?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35296409/ns/health-mental_health/

1 comment:

  1. In the middle school that I teach at their is roughly one student per grade level that has some form of autism. We have around 200 students per grade level.

    ReplyDelete