I was reading this article about how a school district installed WiFi into a bus. Students on the bus are able to get WiFi during their rides to and from school. When the bus is used to haul athletes around, they are able to do homework. Many students do homework, and some play video games.
I have mixed feelings on this. As somone who graduated from high school about 5 years ago, I think that it's very cool. My bus ride was about 50 minutes. I would have loved to sit there and do homework. Especially since I worked and played sports - I was always trying to budget my time. I think that the WiFi would have been great for the 2 boys who rode my bus and use to get into fist fights and shove each other around on the bus (they had a love-hate friendship). It would have stopped the girls from sitting in the back and giggling obnoxiously and flirting with the boys. No one would have been screaming everytime the driver hit a pothole in the hole. (Switzer! You're killing me! Oww! Watch were you're going! How'd you hit that pothole!?!)
On the other hand, I feel like we are going way overboard with the use of technology now-a-days. Minivans have satalite TVs in them. "Everyone" (except me) has Internet on their phones. Do we always need to be "connected" to others? I don't think so. One of the positives of the bus, is that it allows students to develop their inter-personal skills. Students learned how to get along, carry on a conversation, make friends... Are we still teaching students these skills? Or are they being forgotten with all this new technology?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/education/12bus.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The inter-personal skills I feel are being forgotten with all the technology being used also. And yes it will be forgotten over time. You are not the only one with out internet on your phone.
ReplyDelete