So now that I've posted, I've found another article on the whole get kids out of high school in 10th grade debacle. This one offers more information and I guess I can see their logic. The idea is to get kids who are ready out of high school and into college level courses. The high schoolers who don't pass the test at the end of 10th, 11th, or 12th graders will know ahead of time that they might have a hard time in college. This gives them a fair warning rather then having them be "surprised" when they are placed in a remedial class.
It would also allow high school teachers to focus more on the students who need some extra help.
Apparently, countries such as France, Denmark, England, Finland and Singapore use systems like this (or they use this?). They are all considered "high performance nations."
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation are providing a $1.5 million grant to get this going. And schools are hoping to apply for some of the $350 million of fed stimulus money.
Sounds interesting. I still like the idea of keeping high school the way it is though. If you graduate after 10th grade how are you suspose to pay for community college? Not many 10th graders don't have a "real" job. (Babysitting is not a stable form of income) But maybe this would essentially "force" them to get a job. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/education/18educ.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment