A secritary at a school in North Carolina was fired for speaking Spanish to a "hysterical parent" who was beside herself because her young son had been sodomized. Since she was hired as a bilingual secritary, she was acting as a translator for the Spanish speaking parent. The principal then fired her for breaching their school districts' policy of only speaking in English.
I'm sorry, how is helping the kids? Who came up with this policy? If you were the principal wouldn't you be more concerned with the fact that one of your students was abused? What happened to teaching kids to be tolerant of other people's differences (such as languages) and teaching them to proud of these differences?
http://education.change.org/blog/view/school_secretary_fired_for_translating_for_concerned_parents
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think the principal's first responsibility was to the child. If the secretary was hired because she was a bilingual secretary, then I think the district is being somewhat hypocritical.
ReplyDelete