Saturday, February 6, 2010

Qualities of a Good Teacher

Bill and Melinda Gates have donated $45 million into a 2 year research project that will study what effective teachers do/ what best practices are. The study will research 3,700 teachers across the US using "videotapes, surveys, and student assessments" to compile a list of qualities of good teachers.



At the end of the article, the author included a list of, "10 qualities of a great teacher: (1) has a sense of humor; (2) is intuitive; (3) knows the subject matter; (4) listens well; (5) is articulate; (6) has an obsessive/compulsive side; (7) can be subversive; (8) is arrogant enough to be fearless; (9) has a performer’s instincts; (10) is a real taskmaster."



What qualities do you think make a good teacher?



http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2010/02/03/20starkey_ep.h29.html?tkn=NOMC%2FftpboQaBg6bw4JxVeqJ4G%2FG7L4b8YFE

1 comment:

  1. The qualities were interesting, and I agree with them! I think being open and accessible/approachable should be included. By open, I just mean being honest with the students and treating all students fairly. By accessible/approachable, I mean that students should not be afraid to ask questions. I had a student once who had given teachers all kinds of fits, but he was really good for me. His uncle was a fellow teacher so I asked him why the young man was so good for me. He said that his nephew liked me because I treated him as a person. I asked the uncle, "Isn't that we are supposed to do?" I didn't realize that I was doing something different.

    ReplyDelete