So far, I am really enjoying the RSS feeder. I have several subscriptions, and I have made the time to check it first thing in the morning while I listen to the news. The blogging and the wiki I am not enjoying as much as the RSS, I think because I feel a little "vulnerable" putting my thoughts out there. But I can most definitely see the usefulness of them in a classroom.
So I found this one article titled "Dictionary Definitions: Too Sexy for School?" One school in California has decided to pull their dictionaries after parent complaints that kids were looking up dirty words. (Namely the phrase"oral sex".) And they will be reading the rest of the dictionary to look "for things of a graphic nature." Who has the time for that?
I'm sorry, but I think that this is ridiculous. The kids are actually using the dictionary for the purpose for which it was intended (looking up words). And wouldn't you rather your kids find out this information from credulous source rather then a friend who mixes up the facts? As the article points out, it's not like the kids have the Internet or anything at home either where they can google these words...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment