Tuesday, January 19, 2010

PLCs

I found this article called "Teachers and Community Members Practice TLC with PLCs." This article is about PLC (Professional Learning Communities) work together to change schools and make differences. While one individual can work hard for change, a community need to collaborate in order to make a big difference. The example cited in the article at Jefferson Elementary were 53% of ELL students are "proficient" at English. (Up from 3 % in 2002.) Math scores at the same school have also greatly increased.
Last semester, I was part of a PLC at an elementary school. I loved listening to all the experienced/veteran teachers talk about what they do in class. It was great to hear differing points of view and different solutions to my problems. We also created several school goals and came up with a few ideas on how to reach them. For example, one of our goals had to do with MEAP scores for next year. Everyone looked at past scores for our school and offered suggestions about what could be done to improve even though some of the teachers (speciality, kindergarten...) had nothing to do with MEAPs.
I feel that since we all are teachers, and we have all linked blogs and wikis, we are part of a PLC. But does anyone else participate in PLCs at their school? What are your thoughts/feelings on them?

http://www.edutopia.org/professional-learning-communities-collaboration

1 comment:

  1. We do PLCs in our school district each building meets once a month plus every few months all content areas will have a meeting. This has turned out to be a very good thing especially when it comes to the MEAP. I know the math department has made great strides to try and get students to the point they need to be at

    ReplyDelete