I found this article that I thought was pretty cool. START, Microsoft, and CNCS have worked together to pilot a program that has students doing community service by using technology. These 6 pilot programs are spread over the states - Mississippi, New York, California... One of these schools refurbished old computers for their service learning projects. The article doesn't say what the others did. I love service learning.
I just want to differentiate between service learning (all students in a classroom do a service to the community that goes along with GLCEs) and community service (students do on their own after school hours). Last semester, I had my 1st graders perform a service learning project at Halloween time. They absolutly loved it! It was a very rewarding experience for me, my 1st graders, and the kindergarteners that we "serviced." My 1st graders felt empowered knowing that they were able to help others and make a difference. So I think that this program that I read about it a great idea! I hope they can make it work :)
And on a totaly different note, I received my letter from the MDE asking for my $160 so I can get my teaching certificate from the state of MI!!! Yay! I think it's the first time in my life that I've been happy to see a bill! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment